Southfield, Mich. – Brooks Kushman attorneys Justin Barry and Alan Gocha were featured in Fox 2 News’ August 7, 2017 article, “Cancer survivor sues over condo neighbor’s second-hand smoke.” The article discusses a pro bono case that Gocha and Barry have taken on. The case is regarding Phyllis Davis, a Farmington Hills Breast Cancer survivor, who is suing her condominium association, the property management company, and her neighbors over her neighbor’s tenant’s second-hand smoke. Barry and Gocha argue that Davis is considered handicapped and disabled under federal and state law because she has asthma, multiple chemical sensitivity disorder and environmental illness, and that the defendants failure to remedy the smoking-related nuisances violates the Federal Fair Housing Act.
Barry is a registered patent attorney and focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and patent prosecution. He has experience in enforcing patent property rights and shielding against spurious patent enforcement actions. He works with clients in a variety of industries and technologies, including communication systems, cyber security, information security, hybrid electric vehicles, control systems, and information systems. Barry also has a passion for improving local communities through STEM mentorship and pro bono work. He has previously served as a FIRST Robotics Competition mentor and is dedicated to improving the community through science and math.
Gocha’s practice is primarily focused on complex intellectual property litigation in electrical, mechanical and software matters. He has experience in both defending against and asserting copyright, trademark, and patent rights. Gocha has served as lead counsel in a number of cases, both in state and federal court. He also has experience in appellate advocacy and arbitration. His experience touches a broad range of practice areas, including employment, civil rights, corporations, nonprofit, and bankruptcy law. As an attorney, Gocha has provided hundreds of hours of pro bono legal services. And in law school, he was recognized as an Exceptional Pro Bono Pledge Honoree.
The full article can be found on Fox 2 News’ website here.
The story was also featured in:
- International Business Times: http://www.ibtimes.com/how-secondhand-smoke-affects-cancer-survivors-woman-sues-neighbors-smoking-2575725
- Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4770192/Breast-cancer-survivor-sues-neighbor-smoking.html
- Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2017/08/05/condo-owner-lawsuit-over-neighbor-secondhand-smoke/537484001/
- Fox2 Detroit: http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/272489612-story
- WXYZ: http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oakland-county/metro-detroit-condo-residents-sues-over-second-hand-smoke-in-her-building