Brooks Kushman served as Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) counsel for Ford Motor Company in 25 inter partes review (IPR) proceedings. On February 19, 2014, Paice filed suit in district of Maryland and accused Ford of infringing 5 patents relating to hybrid technology. Paice alleged its patents cover hybrid electric vehicles and controls. Throughout 2014 and 2015, Brooks Kushman’s PTAB team and Ford filed a collection of IPRs against the asserted five patents.
In total, the Brooks Kushman team challenged 325 claims and 274 of those claims were instituted. Throughout 2015-2017, the PTAB released written decisions in phases, and cancelled 273 claims. Paice LLC appealed all of the decisions - 229 claims were affirmed invalid on appeal; and 44 claims were vacated and remanded back to the PTAB for further review.
- U.S. 7,104,347: 30 of 32 challenged claims were found invalid by the PTAB and affirmed invalid.
- U.S. 7,237,634: 197 of 222 challenged claims were found invalid by the PTAB; of those, 154 claims were affirmed invalid and 43 claims were vacated and remanded to the PTAB for further review.
- U.S. 7,455,134: 0 of 25 challenged claims were found invalid by the PTAB.
- U.S. 7,559,388: 7 of 7 challenged claims were found invalid by the PTAB; of those, 6 claims were affirmed invalid and 1 claim is currently on appeal.
- U.S. 8,214,097: 39 of 39 challenged claims were found invalid by the PTAB and affirmed invalid.
Team Members include: Frank Angileri, Sangeeta Shah, John Rondini, Andrew Turner, Marc Lorelli, John Nemazi, Erin Bowles, Michael Cushion, Michael MacCallum, John Halan, Todd Dishman, and Chris Smith.