SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Sept. 22, 2010 – Five Brooks Kushman lawyers have been named to the 2010 Michigan Super Lawyers list, tying another local law firm for the most lawyers represented in the two intellectual property (IP) categories. The annual Super Lawyers listing honors outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Additionally, two of the firm`s up-and-coming attorneys were named to the 2010 Rising Stars list, which honors lawyers who are 40 years old or younger, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less.
“The 2010 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists mark the best-of-the-best Michigan lawyers and I am honored to be named to the listing alongside both my Brooks Kushman and statewide colleagues,” said Mark Cantor, president, Brooks Kushman. “Congratulations to all of the 2010 honorees.”
According to Super Lawyers, attorneys are selected using a rigorous, multi-phase process that combines peer nominations and evaluations with third party research on a state-by-state basis. Candidates are evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement in an effort to create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of attorneys that can be used as a resource for those searching for legal counsel.
The Brooks Kushman lawyers that have been named to the 2010 Super Lawyers list are:
• Mark A. Cantor (IP Litigation Category) – president, registered patent attorney, professional engineer and one of the firm`s five founders – has handled and tried litigation cases relating to patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights in a number of national and international forums. Under his direction, the Brooks Kushman legal team has grown by 50 percent, as well as expanded its reach through the opening of a Los Angeles office;
• Thomas A. Lewry (IP Litigation Category) – shareholder and registered patent attorney – heads the firm`s litigation group and has vast experience in IP and commercial litigation. As a result, he has tried cases in federal and state courts around the country;
• William G. Abbatt (IP Category) – shareholder and registered patent attorney – has extensive experience in defining and protecting inventions for a diverse client base. Abbatt`s forté lies in counseling inventors and business owners so they can be profitable, create jobs and gain recognition by the cost-effective use of patent law;
• John E. Nemazi (IP Category) – shareholder and registered patent attorney – provides counsel that combines elements of law, marketing and design. An engineer at heart, his unique expertise is helping clients find paths to market by designing around existing inventions; and
• Frank A. Angileri (IP Litigation Category) – shareholder and registered patent attorney – serves as lead counsel for a variety of Brooks Kushman`s clients, from individuals to major corporations, in IP and commercial litigation matters. With an active practice, Angileri has handled cases in numerous federal courts across the country.
The Brooks Kushman lawyers who were named to the 2010 Rising Star list are:
• John S. LeRoy – shareholder and registered patent attorney – has an active practice that focuses on patent litigation and appeals in the software, electrical and mechanical arts; and
• Michael D. Turner – associate and registered patent attorney – focuses his practice on domestic and foreign patent prosecution for mechanical and electromechanical matters, systems, business methods and designs.
Founded in 1983 by five IP attorneys, Brooks Kushman P.C. is a leading IP and commercial law firm based in Southfield, Mich. with offices across the nation. Since its inception, the firm has grown to more than 70 lawyers and patent agents, gaining a reputation both nationally and internationally as a leader in providing cutting-edge, timely and cost-effective IP counseling.
Brooks Kushman counts four U.S. Fortune 100 companies among its clients and is often recognized by peers and leading trade publications. Brooks Kushman is: a Go-To Law Firm® selected by the top 500 companies, according to Corporate Counsel magazine; a “Best at Client Focus” firm, according to large and Fortune 1000 companies surveyed by The BTI Consulting Group; and one of the top IP firms selected by the Fortune 100, according to IP Law & Business. For more information, visit brookslaw.wpengine.com.