Five lawyers from Brooks Kushman P.C. have been named to the 2007 “Michigan Super Lawyers” listing. “Super Lawyers” identifies the top five percent of attorneys in each state, as chosen by their peers and through independent research of Law & Politics magazine.
Brooks Kushman President Mark A. Cantor, as well as William G. Abbatt, Frank A. Angileri, Thomas A. Lewry and John E. Nemazi were all named to the 2007 “Michigan Super Lawyers” list. The annual listing recognized lawyers in more than 60 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
According to “Super Lawyers,” the selection process is created to compile a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding lawyers that can be used as a resource to assist attorneys and sophisticated consumers in the search for legal counsel. The 2007 results are based on a survey of more than 30,000 attorneys across the state who have been in practice for five or more years.
The Brooks Kushman lawyers that have been named to the “Super Lawyers” listing for the IP Litigation category are:
- Mark A. Cantor, firm president, registered patent attorney and professional engineer, leads the firm`s litigation practice and is active in all aspects of this sector. Cantor handles and tries cases relating to patents, trademarks, trade secrets, software and copyrights in state and federal courts throughout the country, in addition to a number of international forums. He also has an active practice advising clients on the acquisition, risk management and licensing of IP;
- Frank A. Angileri, shareholder and registered patent attorney, as well as Brooks Kushman`s corporate secretary, has an active practice that covers a full range of IP matters, including managing and trying a number of such cases. Angileri is also actively involved in most of Brooks Kushman`s appellate work and has briefed or argued more than 25 appeals since joining the firm. Angileri has been named in the 2007 and 2008 editions of Best Lawyers in America and as a result was named one of “Metro Detroit`s Best Lawyers” by DBusiness magazine; and
- Thomas A. Lewry, shareholder and registered patent attorney, heads the firm`s litigation department. He has a wide range of litigation experience in IP and commercial matters, including patent, copyright, contract, trademark, trade secret and shareholder derivative disputes. Lewry often represents clients in matters involving high technology and computer software in cases throughout the country. He also has an active appellate practice, briefing and arguing cases in various appellate courts.
In the IP category, Brooks Kushman lawyers named to the “Super Lawyers” listing are:
- William G. Abbatt, shareholder and registered patent attorney, whose IP practice includes patent, trademark and copyright prosecution, plus enforcement, transactional work and licensing. Abbatt counsels clients on ways in which they can enhance the value of their IP portfolio. He has a particular affinity for working with small and mid-sized, emerging corporations, whose value can be greatly enhanced through effective management of their IP; and
- John E. Nemazi, shareholder and registered patent attorney, provides a unique service that combines elements of law, marketing and design to advise clients on strategic product design to maximize patent scope. In addition, Nemazi analyzes competitive patented products to provide “freedom to practice” opinions and advice on how to produce an improved product that not only avoids infringement, but is itself patentable. He also helps clients enforce or license patents and respond to infringement threats.