Premium intellectual property protection is not just for the Fortune 500; our attorneys are protectors of innovations at all levels, with a passion for technology. Whether you are new to the start-up community, or a seasoned entrepreneur, Brooks Kushman will create a team with a deep understanding of your business that will become an extension of your team, working to ensure that your intellectual property is protected at every stage of investment.
There are a number of considerations and precautions to take regarding intellectual property when starting a new business or launching a new technology. Our attorneys are able to provide a full array of cost-efficient IP services for startups such as:
- Patent Searching
- Provisional Application Filing
- Non-Provisional Application Filing
- Patent Prosecution Strategy
- Open Source Compliance
- IP Litigation
We recognize that startups are the future of our economy, and we are doing our part to support them through a number of initiatives. We often provide discounted or pro bono services to startups to help foster growth of innovative companies.
Brooks Kushman is actively involved in a number of organizations that help support startup organizations at every stage from idea to marketplace, including:
- Accelerate Michigan Innovation Competition – Brooks Kushman is an active participant in the Accelerate Michigan program. We have hosted IP law panels to help innovators develop a strong IP strategy to protect their technology.
- Ann Arbor SPARK - We support Ann Arbor SPARK in its efforts to attract, develop, strengthen, and invest in innovative companies to help southeast Michigan thrive.
- Automation Alley – Brooks Kushman attorneys are involved in Automation Alley’s 7 C’s program, providing IP law advice and services to entrepreneurs that are beyond the idea stage reach commercialization.
- Bizdom – Brooks Kushman shareholder Robyn Lederman is a mentor with the entrepreneurship accelerator, Bizdom, providing IP counsel to Detroit entrepreneurs.
- Michigan Growth Capital Symposium – Brooks Kushman is a sponsor of the Michigan Growth Capital Symposium, an annual event showcasing nearly 40 startups from around the Midwest.
- Michigan Venture Capital Association – Brooks Kushman is glad to be partnering with the Michigan Venture Capitalists Association (MVCA) as part of their efforts to continue to support the entrepreneurial and venture capitalist sector in the local community
- Pure Michigan Business Connect – Brooks Kushman supports startups with pro bono IP law services through Pure Michigan Business Connect, a business-to-business network connecting buyers to suppliers of Michigan goods and services.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office – Brooks Kushman attorneys support the USPTO’s pro bono program, which provides IP law services to under-resourced inventors and small businesses.
IP protection plays a key role in the success of any startup. Our attorneys have a sole focus on IP law, and are prepared to join in your effort to take your innovations to the next stage.
Southfield, Mich. - Brooks Kushman shareholder, John Nemazi, has been honored as a 2018 “Leader in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. Nemazi will be recognized, along with other distinguished attorneys, at the 2018 Leader in the Law award ceremony on April 5th at the Detroit Marriott Troy. According to Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Leaders...
Southfield, Mich. – Brooks Kushman Shareholder John Nemazi was featured in Crain’s Detroit Business’ June 25, 2017 article, “Gateway ’17 shows path to China’s potential.” The article focuses on how opportunistic the Chinese market can be for small businesses in the United States, especially those that create quality products in the food, cosmetics, and baby...
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – Detroit Startup Week is a free, volunteer-led event on June 18-22, 2018 that celebrates entrepreneurship in Detroit and provides free workshops and community events to promote the growth of innovative startups in the city. On June 19, Brooks Kushman attorneys David Berry and Tiffany Fidler will be moderating and speaking on a panel...
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – The Midwest Regional Office of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) invited families of the Metro Detroit community to participate in All About STEM!, an event hosted at the Detroit Public Library that focused on promoting activities and information surrounding science, technology, engineering, arts, and math....
DETROIT, Mich. – Brooks Kushman Senior Attorney Tim Clise and Of Counsel David C. Berry are scheduled to present on panels for small businesses during the 2017 Detroit Start-Up Week (DSW). The week-long event celebrates the large community of entrepreneurs and small businesses in Detroit and provides educational workshops on a variety...
DETROIT, Mich. - David C. Berry, Of Counsel at Brooks Kushman, PC in Southfield Michigan, is scheduled to be the moderator and a presenter on a panel discussing patent and intellectual property during the 2016 Small Business Legal Academy (SBLA16) for Detroit’s entrepreneurs and start-up businesses. Brooks Kushman is also...
Southfield, Mich. – To help start-up companies understand the importance and value of intellectual property (IP), Brooks Kushman Shareholder Sangeeta Shah will host an IP panel at the Accelerate Michigan Innovation Competition, which the firm is also sponsoring. The panel will take place on November 5, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. Ms....
Troy, MI – Brooks Kushman attorneys Timothy B. Clise, Thomas Lewry, and Hope Shovein along with Clark Hill attorneys Ellen E. Hoeppner and James R. Waggoner, will present at an Automation Alley Entrepreneur Law Seminar on October 29, 2015. The seminar will provide an overview of common legal issues entrepreneurs...